Thursday, July 12, 2018

Terrific Tuesday!

We have decided since Cate is doing so well - and we know she will have doctor's appointments in the near future that Nate will want to attend - that he will go back to work sooner than we anticipated.  This makes me a little sad (oh my word, three to one ratio! Yikes!) but also a little happy (because - no offense, dad - but Momma needs a schedule and routine!)  I think it will be good for us to find our new groove - whatever that looks like.  

Cate woke up sad this morning for whatever reason.  She wouldn't let me touch her, hold her and she couldn't even look at me.  Part of me panicked thinking - the honeymoon is over - this is what we were prepared for and were expecting - lots and lots of grief - which would be totally normal.  Just as soon as it started and I gave her some space - she perked up and was happy to see everyone downstairs at breakfast.  

After Nate took the kids to VBS they spent some time playing together - seeing her walk around with this sideways hat had us both laughing. Also, Knox, begging for her love.  HA!




These girls read books after nap - and then we had to prepare to introduce Cate to our family tradition - Chick-fil-a Cow Appreciation Day!  The kids painted their faces last year - and apparently it was also expected this year.  Thank goodness I found an eyeliner pencil buried in a makeup bag because I wasn't savvy enough this year to remember to save any Halloween face paint.  



I had been dying to see her in this dress - only I forgot how small it was - we almost had to cut it off - WORTH IT! :)  When she saw me painting Skylar's face she sat right down - scooted over - pointed to her nose and signed "please" as fast as she could.  (This is a small victory - even just last week in China I thought she would never say or sign anything remotely close to manners as she was not required to do anything but bark orders and scream to get her way as the 'princess' in her orphanage.)   





The car dance parties are already more entertaining - and no, Wyatt isn't mad - this is his serious dance face.  Kills me.



First Cow Day as a family of F-I-V-E!




We were dying for a dinner that consisted of other adults - even it had to be outside of our house.  We are keeping visitors at our house limited right now - until Cate understands that we are definitely her people and the only ones that live here (it's called cocooning - I'll write more on this later).  She did so good at dinner - and even wanted to hug several people who she saw hug me - at first this makes me so anxious (we adoptive mommas worry about another thing called indiscriminate affection) - but I also want her to feel free to love the people she feels like loving and not feel pressure to love or not love anyone because of my preferences. :) Girlfriend ate a large fry and then some - tried the chicken but was not impressed (sorry to the cows) and enjoyed a tiny bit of ice cream but isn't too keen on cold foods.  She did have a blast though playing peek a boo, high-fiving the cow mascot and being the center of attention. 


The glare on my giant five-head is not flattering at all - but how cute are these other girls?!?  




Bedtime has continued to become harder and harder since getting home - not sure if its a security thing - or she is realizing that crying gets our attention. Still - she has adjusted so well and is so happy during the day that I try to remember that when the nighttime struggles come.  This is just the season we are in - and let's face it - bedtime with little people can take hours - adopted or not! 

Does it get any sweeter than a sleeping baby though?  
Besides a sleeping baby that actually stays asleep?  
I think not.


No comments: