Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Where we are....

Well, I will say, I knew the paperwork process to adopt was extensive - just based on friends that have done it -- but I didn't realize how extensive it is until I was the one filling out all the papers! We turned in our "application" on August 11 - which basically stated our interest in adopting, and gave our agency information about our family. They responded by giving us access to a "preliminary application"... (which you can see Nate excited to handle here....)
This preliminary application had to be processed and approved before we could officially apply for the Adoption Program through China -- and THEN once that was approved we are finally considered "in" the program - or as we say - "paper pregnant!"
Apparently, I need lots of hydration to complete my paperwork.
From here we will have our homestudy - one for the U.S. and then more paperwork following that for China -- so the process will take months. During those months we will have more paperwork, in person meetings and also take 10 hours of training.

There will be a lot of waiting - something I am not great at.

I am counting on this being exactly where the Lord is really going to stretch me through this process.

I already recognize my desire for control (yes, I know, all my family is shocked), even though I am fully aware that I don't have any control - I like to think I do. I have always struggled with this. I like to plan. I like to prepare. I like to feel "ready".

 I am the reason we [I] made excuses for not starting this process a long time ago -- even though we knew we were called to do this. I didn't feel "ready" or "prepared" or like I could handle it. And I can't - not in my own strength. The Lord is already speaking to my heart and it has only been a little over a month. Trust Me. Let Me handle this. Listen to Me. Have I met your every need before? Can I do it now? Is My strength enough? Do you trust me? Hello. Yes. Yes. Yes.

UPDATED 10.18.2016

Over the last three weeks we have continued the pre-homestudy process....this included doctors visits for the kids, more paperwork.  Notarized documents and more paperwork.  Copies of birth certificates, tax returns, marriage licenses, job information, personal references, addresses from the time we were 18 (which we didn't realize we lived in so many places), background checks, fingerprinting, doctors appointments for us, drug screenings and TB tests.

Seriously, it took WEEKS to get everything coordinated and in one place.  I printed out the list of documents needed, and all the documents we needed signed etc - and then spoke with our agency and honestly thought, "oh - I'll get through this in a week or so if I'm really organized and have it back to her and we will be on our way in no time".  ERRRRRRRK.  I mean, I consider myself semi-highly-organized and it felt like it took FOR.EV.ER.  (I would LOVE to blame this on the fact that Nate had some papers to fill out and I had to ask him (nicely) like 65465488 times to finish them, but it wasn't that).

THEN we had a hurricane in Jacksonville (one that left us without power for 5 days AHHHHHH). Two days before the hurricane hit we went and got our TB tests.  Woops.  You know, the test you have to go back to have read 48 hours later?  My doctor was so very gracious to move my appointment up and LITERALLY wait at the office for me while the rest of downtown Jacksonville had been evacuated because they knew how much I wanted to (a) NOT get stuck again and (B) get my paperwork out ASAP -- to read my test.  (I want to always remember this: they called me that morning and asked me to come at 10:45 and I would get my results then, but then they called back (at 9:30) and told me if I couldn't be there before 10 they would have to do my test again because their building was being evacuated.  I threw the kids in the car (almost literally) and we quickly (carefully) made our way downtown in the rain - Skylar dressed head to toe in a bumblebee tutu costume and hot pink crocks, Wyatt in a pajama top and mismatched shorts and dinosaur rain boots - and I'll spare you the deets of my wardrobe but lets just say - thank you, Jesus, for baseball hats. We pulled in the parking lot at 5 til 10 and the NP checked my arm, printed out my test results on letterhead, gave the kids like 12 lollipops, a mini tour of the office and then we all "evacuated" together.  We were a hilarious sight to see, but I was thankful for them that day! No double shot for this girl!)  Nate, however, wasn't so lucky - and since his office evacuated and basically the entire city shut down for the next few days, he had to have his entire test redone - wait the 48-72 hours and THEN we could have test results.

Once all the medical testing and paperwork was organized and double checked and triple checked and yes, I even had Mimi look over everything to be sure we didn't miss any signature spots (it all looks the same after 752 pages) - we finally overnighted our paperwork.

What's Next?

We wait.  My favorite.

During the wait, we will work on completing our first 10 (of 30) hours of training.  And we will hopefully hear from our social worker and schedule our first (of four) homestudy visits.  Please pray for us! Mainly for Nate, who has to deal with me and my waiting skills.


Jo Berry Lamphier said...

"Our Willingness to Wait Reveals the Value We Place on What We Are Waiting For"

Deidra said...

I am so thankful for you and your family. Psalm 25:21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.